Baba Saheb Neel Kanth Kalyani, generally known as Baba Kalyani, is the director and managing director of Bharat Forge.
|Name||Baba Saheb Neel Kanth Kalyani|
|Education||Birla Institute of Technology and Science – Pilani|
|Award||Padma Bhushan – 2008|
Early life and education
Babasaheb Neelkanth Kalyani was born on January 7, 1949, in Pune, India, to Neelakanth Kalyani and Sulochana Kalyani. He completed his schooling at the Rashtriya Military School in Belgaum. Then, he earned a BE in mechanical engineering and an MS at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US.
In 1972, he joined his father at the specific flagship company, Bharat Forge. Initially, the company’s turnover was $1.3 million. During this period, Mr. Kalyani started 11 manufacturing facilities across India, the USA, Germany, Sweden, and China, which led him to India’s wealthiest people list with a net worth of $2.5 billion. Recently, he has developed a partnership with Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defense Systems.
For a clean and emission-free environment, he set up Kenersys Ltd., which manufactures various energy-efficient wind turbines for domestic and international markets. The company has installed wind turbines to generate ‘green energy’ in Maharashtra. He also created solar energy machinery for the non-conventional energy industry.
Bharat Forge Limited is an Indian multinational business that is a technology-driven global leader in metal forming and manufacturing that includes sectors like automobile, power, oil and gas, rail and marine, aerospace, construction, and mining. BFL is a $2.5 billion partnership with over 10,000 global workforces. It has become the world’s largest forging company, manufacturing buildings across India, Germany, Sweden, and China.
BFL is the world’s second-largest forgings manufacturer, the Kalyani Group’s flagship company. This group is a privately held industrial group in India founded by Nilkanthrao Kalyani, the father of Baba Kalyani. It specialises in specialty steel, forgings, auto components, renewable energy and infrastructure, and specialty chemicals. It has collaborative partnerships with numerous prestigious international businesses, including ArvinMeritor, Carpenter Technology Corporation, Hayes Lemmerz in the United States, FAW Corporation in China, Alstom, NTPC, and David Brown Gear Systems in the United Kingdom.
Baba Kalyani’s wife is named Sunita B. She is Kalyani Steels Ltd. ‘s director. The couple is fortunate to have a son named Amit, who works in the family business.
An Indian entrepreneur named Baba Kalyani was estimated to be worth $1.6 billion in 2022. The second-largest forgings maker in the world after German company ThyssenKrupp, Mr. Kalyani serves as director and managing manager of Bharat Forge, the flagship business of the $2.5 billion Kalyani Group.
He established the NGO Pratham Education Foundation in Pune. Children from the local community who are less fortunate are given access to primary education. He offered free technical and vocational training to young people from rural areas at a government industrial training facility in Taluka, Pune. In addition, he contributes to numerous philanthropic organisations and NGOs that promote education for the poor.
Awards and Recognitions
- Mr. Kalyani’s contributions to the industry and the community have been recognized through prestigious awards.
- He received the CEO of the Year award from the Business Standard group in 2004.
- In 2005, he received the Entrepreneur Of the year from Ernst &Young.
- In 2006, Business India Magazine recognized him as the Businessman of the year.
- In 2008, he received the Padma Bhushan award from the Indian government for contributions to Trade and Industry.
- In 2009, he received the Global Economy prize from Kiel Institute, Germany.
- He was given the Forge Master award in 2011 for his contributions to the forging industry at the 20th International Forging Convention in Hyderabad. The distinguished alumni award from BITS-Pilani was given to him.
- He was presented with the Asian Business Leadership Forum’s Lifetime Achievement award in Abu Dhabi in 2012. In recognition of his contributions to entrepreneurship in establishing Bharat Forge, the foremost forging company in the world, he received the Cross of the Order of Merit from the President of the Federal Republic of Germany and a Doctor of Science from IIT-Kharagpur from the President of India.
- He received the knight in the order of the Legion of Honor from the President of the French Republic in recognition of Indo-French ties.
Please visit for more information about influencers.
Desh Bhandu Gupta- Founder and chairman of Lupin Limited
Benu Gopal Bangur- Chairman of Shree Cement
BVR Mohan Reddy-The Executive Chairman of Cyient and Chairman of NASSCOMM
No responses yet